Other Pages To See...


Thursday, February 21, 2008

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

The writing is going well and I've managed to add significantly to my word count nearly every day. Until today. Today, I actually ended up going backward when I cut an entire scene that had no real relevance. The only purpose it served was to beat the reader over the head with my hero's state of mind, which I'd already covered in the previous scene. So, out it went. Hey, it's part of the process. After a while, you learn that nothing we write is such absolute gold that it can't be changed or gotten rid of.

I think it's kind of funny, the way some of us have become so word count obsessed. It's the new method we use to measure progress. Not chapter by chapter anymore. Now, it's word by word. I know I find myself going up and clicking on my tools option way more than I should to see how many words I've written that day. I keep a log, you see, with each days word goal and totals, and record how many I wrote that day. It's just another small thing to try and stay motivated to produce. One. Word. At. A. Time.

Hey, whatever works.

Another little Word function I've gotten attached to is the readability statistics. Occasionally, (like after finishing each chapter) I run a grammar check so I can see my percentage of passive voice. Anthing over 2% and I go berserk. I start going back through what I've written and tracking down those lazy little devils.

Obsessive? You betcha. Wink

Do you have any quirks or pet peeves that you must pay attention to while writing? If so, tell me about them.
Devon

1 comment:

  1. I've become an obsessive word counter since I did NaNo the first time, but it sure does give me a push when I see how much I can accomplish.

    I also tend to pay very close attention to the length of my chapters and scene breaks. I'm probably too much of a stickler about it. LOL

    More and more I find myself noticing how often I used certain phrases and words too.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Romance in the Wild West! I love to hear from you so feel free to leave me a comment.