Other Pages To See...


Monday, March 31, 2008

Wild Texas Roses


After a strange few days, things are finally settling down to normal around here. As if it's ever truly "normal." I look forward to getting back to work on my manuscript tomorrow. Yay! I've missed writing.

See the pretty yellow flowers in the picture? Those are prickly pear blooms. I have prickly pear--straight from Texas, where my mom still lives--in my back yard and they thrive here and bloom like crazy. Unheard of in Kentucky, as far as I've seen. I've given pads from my cactus to everyone who's asked so they can start their own, and they always die on them. Very strange. All we have to do here is cut off a pad and give it a toss. It will take root wherever it lands and start growing. So I don't understand why no one else around here can have any luck with them. A friend once told me, I have a very strong desert vibe going on, so maybe that has something to do with it. LOL!


Back to my point. I posted the picture because these are the Wild Texas Rose(s) I refer to in the title of my current manuscript. During a very nice turning point in the story, my hero makes up a story for my heroine about The Yellow Rose of Texas.
Here's another shot of a starter pad in bloom right beside the steps going out of the garage. This little baby grew into a colossal patch of pads and thorns, completely overrunning the space we had allotted. My husband dug it up after my son tripped one day and fell into the middle of it. Ouch! Poor little guy (he was still very young at the time). We spent at least an hour pulling the nearly invisible spines out of him with tweezers. Very pretty, but if you get near them, they get you.

Hope everyone has a nice April fool's day tomorrow. And stay out of those cactus! :o)


Devon

5 comments:

  1. Oh those are beautiful! I can't wait to read what the story is that he tells her!

    Hope you're having a good writing day...I'm going to have the house to myself after lunchtime(daughter's going bowling with the grandparents) so hopefully I get quite a bit done today since I got NOTHING done yesterday like I had hoped. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are, aren't they. I love them. As long as they're here, I feel I still have a little part of Texas in my own backyard. I didn't put this in my post, but the blooms only last one day. Yep, just one. Fortunately, they don't all open at once, so I have them for a while. But if there are a bunch open at once, better enjoy them because they'll be shriveled tomorrow.

    Hope you have a terrific writing day! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Devon. Guess what! Where I used to live in Woodford County, near the Kentucky river cliffs, were cactus that looked so much like prickly pear I'd have to say that they were exactly that. They grew wild in many places of my ex-husband's family farm. Nor sure if they are native to KY, or not, but there they were. Everywhere. I've seen prickly pear out west and these looked just the same.

    Your story sounds wonderful. I cannot wait to open up the pages of your next book and read it. :)

    maddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a good writing day. I'm anxious to read your work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie, that's really interesting. Mine are the only ones I've seen down here, but I bet they'd grow most anywhere if someone got them started. In the winter months, the pads shrivel and look nearly dead,(here anyway) so they do survive in cold winter climates. Mine are proof of that. The ranchers, etc. in Texas hate them and try to get rid of them constantly because they're so prolific, they really are a hazard for cattle and people, too. But I still think they're beautiful.

    Thanks, Jan! I actually did accomplish a few things today. :o)

    Thank you both for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Romance in the Wild West! I love to hear from you so feel free to leave me a comment.