Other Pages To See...


Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A New Direction

When I returned to writing back in January, I thought I could pick up where I left off. I had plenty of partials to work on and I tried picking them back up again. But, somehow, the spark was gone. Maybe it's just that I've been working at it for so long, I lost my enthusiasm for my favorite genre. Maybe it's because I've been published in my favorite genre and have seen the results. For whatever reason, I lacked direction and nothing I tried put me back on track.

Then something very strange happened. One day a story idea popped into my head that wasn't a western. In fact, the story was set in a time period and locale I've never before tried writing, even though I've read plenty of it over the years. So I started jotting down the basic story idea and my imagination took off! Suddenly, I felt excited about writing again. Genuinely excited and not just forced enthusiasm and wishful thinking. The idea was fresh, at least to me. It was something new. Not only was the genre completely different than my usual, so was the length. For the past week, I've been working on a novella. I know. Long-winded me is writing a shorter story, if you can believe it. And I'm loving it! Because of the shorter length, each day I can see measurable progress. Better yet, at the rate I'm currently writing, I should be finished within a couple of weeks.

I'm not quite ready yet to divulge all the details, but I'll let you know how it goes and what happens. I wasn't going to say anything at all for fear of jinxing myself, but I feel I'm far enough into it now and, hopefully, that won't happen. For several years, writing pals have advised me to try something different. But I'm stubborn. I had convinced myself I didn't want to write something different. Now that I have, my Muse has come out of a long sleep and she's clamoring in my ear constantly. My mood has improved. I have more energy. For the time being, all is right in my little world. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to dash my enthusiasm and I can keep it up. Wish me luck!

Devon

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! Devon! Isn't it nice when you sit down at the computer and don't have to struggle? Things just flow out of your head? I love that. Wish it happened all the time.
    Have to check out my blog. Yep, read another historical.
    And liked it.
    Maybe I'm converting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon, I'm so excited for you! Yesssss!

    And Jennifer--I'll have to check out your blog. I already wrote my blog which will go live tomorrow morning. It's about an historical I'm reading.

    I wonder if you and I read the same historical?!? I'll go to yours and find out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Devon. You know I'm behind you 110%. Gooood Luck.
    Love, Vondie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I'm so happy to see you reading historicals. They're the genre that hooked me on romance, and while I've read across the board in the meantime, my love for historicals has remained constant. I'm so glad you are liking them and I hope you'll continue to give them a shot. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mags, thank you! I'm excited, too. And you're another historical convert, right? I'm really excited that you gals are dipping your toes in the historical pool. I bought Terri Medeiros's "Some Like It Wild" the other day, but as usual, I read through ch. 1 and haven't gotten back to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vondie, I'm so happy to see you here! I know you're rooting for me and I can't tell you how important that is to me. You and D are my anchors in this crazy world. Thought about calling you last night, but figured I'd wait another day or two and give you a break. Love you, too, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Romance in the Wild West! I love to hear from you so feel free to leave me a comment.